Heidi's Pensieve

Welcome to my pensieve, certainly not as world-saving as Dumbledore's, definitely not as tortured as Snape's. Just some thoughts swirling around me head that I like to withdraw and leave here to moil around.

Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Of Mother-in-laws & Freedom

We moved into our new house recently and were finally able to accommodate my in-laws: staying with us permanently instead of just visiting every alternate month.

Having my in-laws to stay with us was a goal of mine for as long as I was married. I wanted them to stay with us. I bugged my husband that we must have a bigger house so that they can stay with us permanently.

I didn't really understand that this was a strange goal of mine until they moved in and I went around triumphantly announcing that my in-laws are staying with me. The pitying looks I received, the well-meaning comments I heard and even the disbelieving remarks my husband had to foist.

Most common was: "No freedom." Or a version of that, "Two days of freedom!" when they went back to their hometown Melaka.

I am puzzled. Freedom? Freedom to do what?

Freedom to quarrel with their son? Freedom to walk naked around the house? Freedom to make love in the kitchen? Freedom to invite male friends to the house when their son is not around?





No comments:

Post a Comment