Heidi's Pensieve

Welcome to my pensieve, certainly not as world-saving as Dumbledore's, definitely not as tortured as Snape's. Just some thoughts swirling around me head that I like to withdraw and leave here to moil around.

Friday, January 14, 2011

Different Strokes for Different Folks

Until 2 years ago, I often wondered why my brothers do not embrace life and gleefully take on challenges the way I do. Why are they so different from me? We have the same mother, the same upbringing, the same guiding principles. 

Where I got "Get out there, reach for the stars, you can do it", they got a totally different principle: "Do the best you can with what life gives you. Be content with your lot. Get along, don't make waves."

I was shocked speechless. I couldn't believe it. I insisted they got it all wrong, they got it back to front, they didn't hear her properly. They assured me, "No, they got different sets of guidelines from me." They convinced me when they told me they even knew of the siren song I listen to and follow. They were told sure, they could reach for the stars, but the fall would be very far. There's heartache, so do the best you can, not necessary to be perfect.

I called my mother immediately and demanded why? Why did she condemn my brothers to a life of mediocrity? Why did she not think they could overcome heartaches and failures and triumph the way I did? Why?

But most of all, I wanted to know how she could presume to test one set of principle on one child and a totally opposing one on the other two. Did her experiments bring her any "I-knew-I-was-right" vindication?

Mom: Who among the 3 of you, do you think, I love most?
Me: I thought you loved us equally. You never showed any favoritism until now.
Mom: So you think a successful life is better than a normal life? They are not living lives of mediocrity, they are living normal happy lives.
Me: But we could all reach for the stars and excel. Nothing is impossible if we put our mind, heart and soul to it. You told me that and sure, there were pitfalls, one could fall very far and be very hurt but one could always get up and keep going. You told me that too. Why can't they do the same?
Mom: Because I love them and didn't want them disappointed.
Me: But what about me? 
Mom: You almost died when you were born, yet you lived. You had medical issues all your childhood, but if you can struggle to breathe, I knew you also had the capacity and capability to fight adversity. If something every normal person takes for granted: breathing just to be able to live is something you already have to struggle for, you might as well go the whole hog and reach for the stars. If you have to struggle to live, what's an additional struggle to be extraordinary? Everybody is not born the same, everybody is not called to the same life or service. Different people are given different talents and different calling.

I don't agree, I think it's unfair.

No comments:

Post a Comment